Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday Fun

The weather has been quite interesting the last few days and we are gaining a healthy appreciation for living in a rain forest. When we asked about a good place to find bald eagles, we were told to head to the town dump. Oh. Not quite the grandeur we were looking for so we were pleased to finally see one on the waterfront, although you can't quite tell that's what it is from the picture. The two pictures are of the same eagle and were taken relatively close to the same spot in less than a minute, but you can see how different the weather is in the mountains (lots of fog) compared to the water (blue sky).

Yesterday evening we met the family whose house we'll be taking care of for the second part of our trip. They live on Auke Bay that overlooks the Chilkat Mountains. Their home is amazing! They bought it as an older cabin thirty years ago and have been making it their own ever since. Tucker, their lab, will be our companion for the rest of the month.The house is gorgeous and has one of those views that you see in magazines. Here's a picture looking from their house across the bay. The sun was starting to set (about 8 PM) when this was taken so it is not quite as clear as I hoped, but I will post more pics once we are settled in next week. We look forward to sea kayaking and spending some time on the beach with Tucker.


This will be an adventured-filled weekend, as we celebrate Juneau Appreciation Days with the locals. (Although it is quite possible this is more of a marketing trap for tourists, but we will pretend I didn't just think of that.) We have a coupon for zip lining in the canopy and have planned a hike up Mount Roberts.

It's been a fun trip so far and we have several more weeks to enjoy! I will close this work week with a shot of our neighborhood and of my Alaska "office." Just to my left is a window, where I check for bears and moose on a regular basis. So far I am only kept company by a very talkative crow, but I still have high hopes of seeing some fury friends soon!

2 comments:

  1. cool eagle! I like your office- can't wait to see pictures of your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Hope you had a great weekend...know it was busy with the birthday party. Happy Mom's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete